Friday 13 July 2012

Cake Travels - Barcelona

I turned 29 again *ahem* a few weeks ago and in celebration my Mum and I thought we'd take ourselves off to Barcelona for the weekend.  There was A LOT of this

(those glasses were almost as big as our heads.....serious)

plenty of this


and I'm afraid to say it...........plenty of rain. 


Seriously can it not rain in Spain the rare time I happen to be there?!?!?!  But it just meant we sat in bars drinking more of this


so I can't really complain.  Anyway onto the cake before you all think I'm some kind of raging alcoholic. 

As I do when I go anywhere on my travels I thought it only right to sample some of the local baked goodness.  So on Sunday night, desperate to find somewhere to shelter from the rain we installed ourself in a tapas bar and sampled the dessert menu.  Now I'm not usually a major coconut fan, usually going for chocolate or strawberries over anything else but I'd gorged on chocolate the night before so decided to try the Coconut Cake. 


It was absolutely stunning.  The base was made of a really crumbly and light coconut sponge that melted in your mouth with a creme caramel type topping and then doused in a strong coffee sauce.  I'm not a lover of coffee in any shape or form but here it fitted perfectly.  Delicious and a perfect antidote to the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment