Saturday 3 March 2012

How To......Make Rocky Road

I'm on a bit of a health kick at the moment and so last weekend I decided to remove all temptation and remove the masses of chocolate and biscuits that have been hanging around my house since Christmas.  Yes you read that right I STILL have chocolate left over from Christmas. 

Anyway I couldn't bring myself to bin it all so decided to whip up a batch of Rocky Road with the intention of sending it to work with the boyfriend to feed his cake hungry office and gain me some girlfriend points.  I did send him to work with some but a couple of pieces may have inadvertently fallen into my mouth also, ooooops.  Well if you're going to be naughty you may as well do it properly. 

Rocky Road is the easiest thing in the world, you don't even need an oven!  Here's my recipe:

Ingredients
  • 100g butter/baking margarine
  • 200g plain chocolate
  • 2 tbsp golden syrup
  • 2 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 2 tbsp caster sugar
  • 500g of sweet treats (ideally 200g biscuit based, 100g marshmallows and 200g chocolate)
  • Icing sugar to dust

1.  Line an 8 inch square tin with greaseproof paper.

2.  Melt the butter, plain chocolate, golden syrup, caster sugar and cocoa powder in a pan.  Once melted leave to cool for 10 minutes.

3.  In a large bowl place the marshmallows, biscuits (I used digestives) broken into small pieces and chocolate goodies.  For mine I used maltesers, white chocolate buttons and chocolate fingers.

4.  Add the melted mixture to the large bowl and stir well to ensure everything's covered.

5.  Pour the mixture into the square cake tin and place in the fridge for at least 2 hours.

6.  Once set remove from the cake tin, cut into 16 pieces and dust with icing sugar.

The great thing about Rocky Road is that you can add in anything you like.  Try experimenting with different types of chocolate and biscuits or adding in things like dried fruit and nuts if you want something that's a teeny bit healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment